Sunday, July 15, 2012

Queen of Pops

There is a local food truck aptly named King of Pops that makes its stops around Atlanta.  I've never been fortunate enough to try their delights but the reviews are amazing.

Out of the blue, as I was searching for some sweet and cold confection to create, popsicles dawned on me.  Now...what says summer better than popsicles?  Not much.

I fondly recalled running in the house asking for a popsicle from my Mother (or Grandmother or hell...friend's Mother).  I was reward with a cold fruity confection (that at that time was probably filled with tons of sugar).  I couldn't eat this delight fast enough.  All of the kids would wear the stains of the orange, grape, banana (which I hated) or cherry (my absolute favorite popsicle) and we would be sticky and grimy.  But...we were in heaven.

Popsicles have changed quite a bit - they now come with bits of fruit, some are even savory and some are creamy.

For my creation, I opted to go with something easy and semi healthy.  I also decided to use ingredients on hand as well as one of my favorite flavors.  I decided on lemon.  Lemon just screams of summer.

I present to you my lemon yogurt popsicles!  Enjoy them on a hot summer day and remember what it was like to be a child...

Lemon Yogurt Popsicles

2/3 cup sugar
7 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1 pinch salt
1 2/3 cup Greek yogurt


Whisk sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and salt in 4-cup measuring cup until sugar dissolves. Whisk in yogurt.  Divide mixture among ice pop molds. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 5 days.




 The popsicle molds came from Ikea.  I think they are fun and cut.

Here's the finished product...


Very tasty, very lemony, cold, creamy and there is a slight tanginess from the yogurt.

Happy summer!

No comments: