Monday, July 16, 2012

Poached Chicken Breasts

I am in a rare mood tonight.  I had a very rough day at work.  A tenant, two floors above our suite, had a leak and it leaked into my office.  By the time I arrived at work, the elves had used a wet vac on my space and another company was drying things out.  This meant I was displaced.  It also meant that the office I have been eyeing for a year could possibly by mine.  I asked for it and I got it.  The majority of the day was spent moving what items I could to this space.  It is an odd feeling being in this office but I am sure I will get accustomed to it.

As I rushed home I also realized that I needed to send a package to my loved one.  I parked in front of my house and saw something sticking out of the mailbox.  I gasped.  I knew what it was but I didn't have time to open it.

Upon my return home, I opened all the other mail - the bills, the junk, the statements...and I opened the large package.  It was a cookbook, sent to me by a dear friend and her husband.  Julia Child's The Way to Cook cookbook.  This book is massive!  I thumbed through the pages and settled on her Chicken Breasts Poached in Butter recipe.  It is amazing...tender, succulent and tasty.

Bon Appetit!!!!

boneless skinless chicken breast halves
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 a large lemon, juiced
1 Tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried tarragon
4 Tbsp butter
fresh parsley, chopped
1. PREP: preheat the oven to 400. Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and tarragon to taste. Place butter in a flame-proof casserole and heat over MEDIUM until butter is melted. Add lemon juice and stir. Roll the breasts in the butter and then lay them flat in one layer in the casserole. Place a piece of wax paper over them. (This will help keep the moisture in and make your chicken breasts plump.) Cover the casserole with the lid.

2. BAKE: Place the casserole into the oven and bake until chicken breasts are fully cooked, about 25-30 minutes. To serve, place a chicken breast over rice or noodles. Spoon the sauce over the top and then sprinkle with parsley.

No comments: