Sunday, November 22, 2009

Lemming of the day...


Arkansas Black Apples. We found them after approximately 10 phone calls this morning. It is a perfect apple day in Atlanta. Yesterday, the sun was shining and it was warm. We woke to the sound of rain and as we pulled back the blinds, we saw the wind. I lay across the bed and called Apple "orchards" in Ellijay and Blue Ridge - nothing. I called almost every Whole Foods in Atlanta and found them. I pulled on my heavy wool grey Fisherman's sweater and jeans and we were off.
These apples are glorious. Deep, dark and waxy. The hue reminded us of cherries (one of my favorite fruits). Firm and fragrant. We loaded up and headed home.
I gingerly peeled the apple and sliced it. It is quite firm and the texture is amazing. It slices like heaven. The flavor is unlike any apple I have ever tried. My favorite apples are Galas and Granny Smith - my partner loves Gala and Fuji but the Arkansas Black is in a class all of its own.
Firm to the tooth without being uber hard (like it's Red Delicious cousin), a hint of sharpness mellowed out with a sweetness and a hint of citrus.
We concurred...this was the best apple we have ever eaten.

No comments: