Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dinner


I am planning a tenant Christmas breakfast for my office and suggested shrimp and grits as an addition to my menu.


I brought this idea home and we tossed it around and headed out yesterday to pick up the ingredients.


I am not a fan of shrimp but I love grits (what can I say, I am from the South). I very seldom order shrimp but if they are in tandem with grits then I am your girl. :)


I put on a large Le Creuset pot of collards using the remains of my salted roast turkey (http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2008/11/salted_roast_turkey_with_herbs_and_shallot_dijon_gravy) as seasoning and simmer the collards all day. I slow cooked my grits as I peeled and washed our shrimp.


The recipe is as follows:


1 lb shrimp, cleaned and peeled

cajun seasoning - to taste

2 bay leaves

sliced onions - preferably sweet

2 slices of bacon

garlic

olive oil

butter

cream

salt and pepper to taste


I sauteed the onions in butter and olive oil. I added my bacon slices and let them cook until done. I coated both sides of the shrimp with cajun seasonings and some oregano. I added the shrimp to the pan and sauteed until light pink. I removed the bacon and pulsed in the food processor. I add some cream and the bay leaves, turned the heat off and added the bacon and let it simmer.


The finished results were impeccably delicious.


No comments: